Saturday, June 27, 2009

Do You, Boo!!

I'm gonna be honest with you all, I'm no fashionista. I don't claim to be. I don't keep up with the latest fashions in Paris...etc, etc. I am, however, in love with fashion. I am a very creative person and to me, fashion is a way to make your body a canvas. That is why I am highly opposed to following fads and trends. I don't think it's the best way to reflect who you are. Now, I'm not saying you can't pull elements you appreciate from current trends, I just think that fashion is about whats right for you. I've been told often that a certain outfit I wore was nice on me, but would never work on somebody else. Now, sometimes, that's a polite way to say "you look a hot mess", but when you do creative the right way, it can be a very true compliment. When you #1:wear what you like, #2: are willing to take chances, and #3: make choices that compliment your body and image, you may create a personal style that really may not work on anybody but you. Now let me explain:

#1: Wear what you like
-so often, people are slaves to pop culture and trends of today, and try to reflect what they see. The problem with that is, sometimes, these trends don't work for everyone. It's important to know what you like. That can include styles from any time period (that are flattering, for example, you may want to avoid Hammer pants). Try to remember things you've seen on people, or in magazines that you loved. Even try to recall things you've worn before that you really liked or were praised for. But what if you don't think the shirt in the movie will look good on you? That brings me to the next point...



#2: Be willing to take chances
-you never know what will work if you don't try it, so take the chance! I am someone who is willing to try something odd, if I can make it work. I have plenty of "ugly" items I love. It depends on what you do with it, and how you carry yourself when you wear it. Sometimes, I will go to the mall on an off-day and try on anything I think looks cool. Then, I take a picture in it with my phone. What I see in the mirror is how I think I look in it, and what I see in the picture is what others will see. Later on, when I'm home, I review them. The next time I have the money to shop, I know what to get. The beauty of window shopping and trying unfamiliar things on, is it helps you get over the fear of putting it on. If it happens to look good, get it! p.s- don't be scared of pattern, color, and different fit. You'd be surprised how comfortable you could be in something new.


#3: Make choices that compliment your body and image
-To me, this is the most important factor. Sometimes, the cutest outfits can be completely ruined by bad fit. Don't dress for a body you don't have, and respect your proportions. A basic rule is big baggy clothes don't flatter any shape, male or female, and tight clothes don't help anyone either. Also, make sure your clothes reflect who you are. If you're a vibrant happy energetic person, don't live in neutrals like black and browns, add some bright vibrant colors. If you're a mature businessman/woman, you may not want to live in dusty sneakers and juniors department clothes. If you're a sweet, classy, well-mannered young lady, you may want to skip the mini skirts and thigh boots. Ya get the idea?



Fashion is about being honest with yourself, true to yourself, and having fun. I will be going into depth on these points one by one later on, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment